Friday, October 21, 2011

selfishness

Ok, so I am feeling really selfish right now.  My boyfriend of 9 months (can you have a 'boyfriend' at age 50?) got laid off from his job as an engineer today.  I'm sad for him, although this is nothing new for him in the last 5 years or so.  Yet, I feel guilty for feeling selfish about the fact that he may have to move out of state to take another job, should he find one, and that means our relationship will possibly have to be a long-distance relationship.  What makes me feel selfish is the fact that I'm making this about ME, and this is really about him.  It's his life that is now uprooted, his whole universe that is now out of sync, and I'm hoping it doesn't cause a tear in the fabric of our relationship.  He's a wonderful man, and I don't want to lose him.

Yes, I have trust issues with men.  So there, I said it.  He's done nothing to warrant me not trusting him ~ it's the other, previous turds that were not able to be trusted.  But I am feeling like this is about me too, because I am an integral part of his life, as he is mine, and I was floating along in this grand, mahvelous, perfect relationship thinking all is just peachy dandy, all I have to do is finish school, and we could start a life together.  Now it is in the process of changing ~ in a major way.  Poooooooooooh.

2 comments:

  1. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope things work out for you both. I hope he can find another job nearby. When you get out of school you can move where he is if he doesn't possibly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joy! However, it has finally found it's demise.
    Hope all is well with you, and happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete